2017 marks the 60th anniversary of first publication of Thomas The Tank Engine illustrations by Kibworth/Smeeton artist John Kenney. He took over this role from a previous illustrator of the Rev. Awdry’s much loved children’s books. It is Kenney’s enduring illustrations that have spawned the current massive Thomas industry. He also illustrated Ladybird books, and his original paintings of Leicestershire scenes were, and still are, much sought after.
Kibworth Community Library is marking this year’s anniversary across February half-term with different events appealing to both children and adults.
Competition – Design a new engine friend for Thomas.
- judged in age bands by two local children’s book illustrators.
- to enter, call into the library between Saturdays 11th February and 18th February for a sheet on which to submit a design along with contact details. Closing date 18th February.
John Kenney’s Life and Work – a panel discussion
- in the library with a preview of our commemorative display and wine on Friday 17th February at 7.30
- Tickets £5 from the library or The Bookshop (Ticket numbers strictly limited.)
John Kenney family day – Saturday 18th February 11am-4pm
- a free drop-in open day in the library filled with fun activities.
- bring along your favourite Thomas toy
- thomas treasure hunt around the village
- help create an exciting railway display with fantastic arts activities.
- enjoy old and new Thomas and Ladybird books and toys.
- Inexpensive new items will be available for purchase.
These commemorative events are supported by The Bookshop, Kibworth – Kibworth Antiques Centre – Egmont Publishing (current publisher of Thomas books). We are looking for Kenney memorabilia to borrow to add to our display. If you have anything that you would be willing to loan to the library, please email email@example.com or pop in and leave your name and contact details with one of our volunteers.